Monday, March 5, 2018

My Thoughts on Power Rangers: Beast Morphers

Hey guys. I know I'm late for this party, but I just wanted to post my thoughts on this. I was planning to make a video, but I thought this would have been easier. Unless you've been in a coma for the past few weeks, you would know that the upcoming Power Rangers season has just been announced, Power Rangers: Beast Morphers, and what makes this more exciting, it's an adaption of the 2012-13 Super Sentai series, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters.


It was a huge surprise that rocked the Power Rangers fandom that day, but not only that, lot's of stuff happened before this was announced.


First, Saban announced that they would be renewing their contract with Nickelodeon from 2019-2021. This caused lots of controversy by many fans, including myself. Ever since Power Rangers returned on Nickelodeon after being cancelled by Disney, Power Rangers hasn't done so well in quality. Samurai was practically a direct copy of it's counterpart, Shinkenger, Megaforce was just a failed attempt at an anniversary, Dino Charge was pretty good, but it's second season wasn't, and Ninja Steel hasn't been doing well either. So after hearing this, we thought Power Rangers would never be good again, but the one thing that did stood out was that they were renewing it for three years as oppose to two, like they have been doing for the past decade with their "Super" seasons. Rumors have been going around that maybe Saban will going back to doing single seasons, which I hope they do. They could go back to 32 episodes per season, much like with RPM.


Then, Saban revealed a new logo for the franchise, which was showing Saban was trying to rebrand the franchise. At the time, it was unknown whether this was official or not, but since Saban kept sending copyright claims to those who posted about this image, it kind of gave it away.


The next surprise was a huge shocker. As of April 2019, Saban will part ways with Bandai, the company who is best known for making the toys for Power Rangers. This was a big for many people, because Saban and Bandai have been together for 25 years, and seeing them split, it was either relieving or heartbreaking. To be honest, I'm gonna miss Bandai because mostly, they've been making the toys that I played with while growing up. But then again, given what they did with their latest releases......

 

.....I think it's for the best.


So, after parting ways with Bandai, rumors have been spreading that Hasbro may take the master toy license, and, the following day, the rumors became reality. Hasbro is now the official toy holder for Power Rangers toys. Hasbro is best known for making the toys for Transformers, My Little Pony, and G.I. Joe, and a lot of excitement has been building up from fans due to interest of how Hasbro will make the toys, especially with Hasbro aiming to make Power Rangers a much more bigger franchise in their hands, and I certainly agree. But, the rumors still don't end, because rumor has it that Hasbro may be interested in buying Power Rangers as a whole.


Then, on Saturday, the gift from God was received and Power Rangers Beast Morphers was finally announced. Again, so many fans were glad at this, because Saban finally heard their prayers, and they we're deciding to adapt a season that was skipped. In case of you didn't know, after the abombination that was Super Megaforce, fans were expecting Go-Busters to save the franchise, but we're ultimately angered that Saban skipped it in favor for Kyoryuger, which would become Power Rangers Dino Charge. When I first heard the name, I was confused. "Beast Morphers". It sounded kinda strange. The Beast part I understand, since they will acknowledge the animal motif, but why the morpher part. I mean we all know that the Morphers are what give the Rangers the means of transformation. Interested in how this series will turn out? Here's the synopsis:

"Set in the future, a secret agency combines a newly discovered substance called “Morph-X” with animal DNA to create the Power Rangers Beast Morphers team. The Rangers must fight off an evil sentient computer virus bent on taking over the source of all Ranger power, the Morphin Grid itself. Featuring never-before-seen leather suits and an all-new beast-themed arsenal (including dynamic new Zords), fans should get ready for a season full of secret ops and morphinominal fun."

Not gonna lie, I freakin' love the plot for this series. First of all, I really love it that there acknowledging the animal motif and the spy motif, so let's go into critical analysis of my thoughts for this series and what potential it has, and what I want out of this series.

The Changes I Want:

First of all, I want them to stop with the cringy humor and plots that the Neo-Saban Era has been giving us for the past decade and start taking themselves seriously. Start feeling like a fight for survival where I want our heroes to win. Give us interesting character arcs instead of having them be bland and go through "morals of the week". Some people say that Nickelodeon forces this crap onto the show, but others say that Nickelodeon has no control over Power Rangers, only that they let it air there. Honestly, In my opinion, I think there influencing Saban to do this, because Ninja Steel hasn't done so well in ratings and other crappy Nick shows, like Thundermans, Henry Danger, Knight Squad, they're comedic and have more higher ratings, so Saban is practically trying to make Power Rangers humorous so they can get a bigger audience, but it doesn't work. Also, please get rid of Noam Kaniel. I cannot bare to stand the music he composes, and highly get annoyed that every theme of the Neo-Saban Era, always has to have "Go Go Power Rangers" in it, which leads to the next thing. Quit it with treating Mighty Morphin like if it's the holy grail of the franchise. Give current seasons their own identity. Saban, you think that because Mighty Morphin was such a huge success in the 90s, that you think you can get the same feedback if you try it again here, but you failed. Television has evolved since then, with shows like Avatar, Steven Universe, Star Wars Rebels, Gravity Falls, etc. You just have a problem with evolving the quality of the show. I mean as seasons kept going and going, from MMPR-RPM, it felt like the show was becoming older, but when Saban buys the franchise, back down the slippery slope with all the cheesiness and weird voice acting like in MMPR, and it doesn't seem like their trying to change, so Saban, please get with the programming. (And ya know, it's sad when fans are more interested in the comics and an RPG game than the actual show.)

The Setting:

First of all, I really do love that this series is set in the future, because many seasons of Power Rangers that are set in the future, like S.P.D., are known to be pretty good, so I'm interested to see how they'll build up the futuristic world.

The Characters:

The only thing I want out of these characters is that I just want them to feel like actual humans and have interesting arcs. I don't know if they're going to have allies, but I really want them to keep the Buddyroids.


I know it would be weird, but the Buddyroids we're characters that built up their friendships with the Go-Busters and strengthened their teamwork. And also, they were their means to control their mechs, PLEASE BRING THEM TO THE STATES!!!!! Just don't make them feel cringy and pointless, unlike some certain character of a current season. (You know who I'm talking about.)


And please adapt Beet J. Stag as well, since he is the Silver Ranger in the Sentai.

The Zords:


The mechs in Go-Busters we're pretty unique to say. The camera work for them was done really great and by having that work in Power Rangers would be groundbreaking and make it seem more real. For the toys, I'm really interested in what they're going to be. We know Hasbro has experience in transforming mechs like with Transformers and Go-Busters has lots of mechs that transform, so I'm very excited.

The Villains:



What I really do love about the villains is that THERE FINALLY NOT ALIENS THIS TIME!!!! THANK YOU!!!! This time, it's a computer virus, which some believe that maybe Beast Morphers takes place in the same dimension as RPM and the virus their referring to could possibly be Venjix. It's not confirmed yet, but time will tell. What I also do love is there motive, which is to take over the Morphin Grid, which gives every single Ranger the ability to morph. So, they're not trying to take over the universe, so at least it's not cliched.



What I'm mainly interested in is to see if they'll adapt Enter and Escape, who have human forms. Maybe we'll get more human villains after Heckyl from Dino Supercharge, so I'm really excited.
_________________________________________________________________________________

So, those are my opinions for Power Rangers: Beast Morphers, and to sum it up, I just hope it is good, unlike anything we've been getting for the past decade. So, next time, Power Rangers: Battle Beasts returns after Gravure Month, with Episode 11, Fury of Triumph, Part 1. Later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really hopeful for Beast Morphers. Maybe someone at Saban or Hasbro finally listened to fan feedback and we will get something more serious, not the Nickcom crap we've been getting for the better part of a decade.

    Not sure if it will be part of the RPM universe. I saw Amit Bhaumik's pitch a few years ago and it seems really convoluted. Still, it could be interesting. Truthfully I'm not that big a fan of the Buddyroids so I could go with or without them being adapted. If they bring in Beet J. Stag, though, I hope they give him a Liverpudlian voice (get it... because he's a beetle?)

    ReplyDelete